Tuesday, June 22, 2010

"That's what she said"

Do you ever have a thought or feeling about something and you either can't put it into words or you don't have the energy to?  or maybe you think you'll get a little TOO into it and ramble on til you sound like a nut?  well, this just happened to me, via my sister erica, via HER blog.  Thought I'd share. (if you want to go to her lovely blog, which i recommend, the link is right down here v...)

 

 

I wish I had her address...

Dear Mother of 2 at the Neponset Spray Park,

Hi, I'm the redhead who was sitting next to you for awhile this hot afternoon. I kept getting soaked by wild sprinklers and my hair was a mess of public park sprinkler funk and sweat. I have an adorable toddler who was trying out her independence in the sprinklers. Do you remember her? Curly blonde hair, too tight one piece, powder blue Crocs? She would creep close and timidly put her hand to a spray of water before running back, proud, and glowing about almost getting wet. No, I didn't think you would remember her.

I remember your boys. I remember one of them, is he about six?, slamming directly into my proud but timid toddler and running past like nothing had happened. The baby's feelings were hurt, but that was all, thankfully. She got up quick as if she didn't want any of the big kids to see her. When she came to get kissed (But how do you kiss pride?) by her momma, I glanced back at you. And then we moved to the other side of the park.

Then after a time, I pulled out bubbles. Your older boy seemed really enthusiastic about the bubbles so I blew some in his direction, and into a crowd of smaller kids who had gathered around my daughter and me. Did you notice what he did when I blew a long, flowing stream of bubbles? He pushed through kids MUCH smaller than he and grabbed the bubble wand from me. "My turn!" he yelled as he darted across the spray pad. I retrieved the bubbles and glanced across the park at you, looking for some help.

No, I didn't think you noticed. But that sure is a cute pink cover you have for your iPhone.

What were your friends up to on facebook? Did you update your status or add to your cattle in Farmville? Were you texting a girlfriend about how bored you were at the park with your boys on a beautiful day? Your boys who kept going up to you, asking you things and being met with a dismissive wave of your hand? "Go away" I heard you say at least twice.

Cause you know what? I enjoy some gadget time myself. I like to be able to shoot off a text about something funny or novel and get that immediate gratification of a response from a friend. Hell, I can't figure out why, but I like to read people's facebook updates. But NOT WHEN I'M WITH MY DAUGHTER. Not when I'm watching her and am responsible for how she acts and interacts in a public place.

I don't want to judge you. I recognize that you could be going through something hard or terrible, and maybe today was just an off day between you and your boys.

But please put your phone down.
Be responsible for your children.

Thanks.

Yep. What she said =)

1 comment:

littlearch said...

Yes! More needs to be said. How often have we watched mom's texting in the playgrounds? Has to stop.