Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Lets Hear it for the Boys

Kevin Tan, Justin Spring, Jonathan Horton, Joey <span class=
I don't think men's gymnastics ever gets enough credit.  Maybe now they will.  Ah, but probably not. Anyway, last night's Olympics were so fun to watch.  I'm sure you've all heard the background story but, to recap:

both of the Hann brothers who were the golden boys for the mens olympic team got injured and had to be scratched from the games on pretty short notice.   So everyone sortof gave up on our team this year.  But two alternates who were crushed that they'd failed to make the team got a second chance and at none other than the olympics!
I've watched every vignette on the subject and the lucky boys who got their second chance were so excited and humble and thrilled.
The ultimate underdog story.

So, they did incredible. They nailed almost everything, and were actually in place for team silver, with a shred of possibility to beat china and win the gold, but only for a couple seconds. 

Anyway, their last event, pommel horse, did them in.  the first 2 guys sortof blew their routines, but our third and final guy had a beautiful routine. Quite a disney-movie-esque nail biter,  but in the end, our boys won BRONZE.  The best part of it is that from the celebration and emotion, you'd think they won gold.  The Japanese, disappointed in themselves with silver, but with a  'thank god they didn't have to suffer the embarrassment of bronze' expression, looked relieved.  The chinese with gold, looked sortof like, "whew", winning as they expected they would, but pretty cheerfully, I'll give them that. 

I just loved our USA team being SO happy with third place.  

And yes, they are tough, strong, muscle men, but Brooks and I did have to let out a couple giggles as these small headed unitard wearing guys yelled out things like "thats how we do it" and "yaya baby" in high squeaky prepubescent voices. 

1 comment:

littlearch said...

I couldn't stay up to watch last night but your recap made me "see" it anyway. Tonight I am drinking coke WITH caffeine and I will stay up...I hope. I can't believe they come on so late...c'mon people, give an old broad a chance!