Tuesday, June 24, 2008

MANGOS MADE MY TUESDAY (imagine the alliteration if this happened a day ago)

Oh I love Maui.  
Yes, I complain.  Who wouldn't?  The gas in 4.63/gallon and we have no target!!  But there must be a lot of magic if we are pregnant and not moving home to be with family we dearly miss or to let a line form for free baby sitting. We will move home at some point soon, but right now, we are enjoying what we have here, namely weather, beauty, mostly peaceful surroundings and little events like this:

I was in Foodland (thats the actual name of our Grocery chain)  today, looking for some...food when a hawaiian lady with a toddler "stroll"ed up to me and smiled.  We were both staring at the box cakes for a moment, then she smiled again and said something very pigeon-y like "sorry no mean to stare, you have baby coming, yeah?"  

We talked a little about having a baby, how far along.  She asked FIRST and I gladly let her feel my belly.  She somehow  asked  questions without being at all intrusive, and we had a nice conversation, talking about eating healthy with box cake supplements.   Long story short, she had a dozen mangos in the bottom of her stroller from tutu's (mom's) house (not a surprising find in maui) and loaded me up with as many as would fit into my purse.  "you need make belly happy and little wahine strong".  So sweet.  After some alohas, and mahalos, and a hug, I lugged my body, cake, and almost ripping purse away.

A little 2 minute experience but it left a smile on my face for a while.  And now we have lots and lots of mangos.

1 comment:

littlearch said...

Dad will love this- it's all about those "connections" that he lives for. What a lovely mangoey connection for you!